To support the delivery of teaching and learning at Swan View Senior High School, a series of frequently asked questions have been developed for your consideration and reference.

How do I know that the school environment is safe for my child/children to attend?

The Western Australian Chief Health Officer sent a letter to schools stating that school staff and students are not at an increased risk of catching COVID-19 by physically attending school. Cleaners are working throughout the day to ensure all high-use areas, such as benchtops, desks, doorknobs, taps and hand rails, are regularly cleaned and surfaces disinfected.

Classrooms are being sprayed with disinfectant at every break time and hand sanitiser, general purpose surface sanitiser, wipes and gloves have been provided to every classroom. Parents/caregivers have been asked to drop their child/children at the school gate and not enter the school grounds. We are also limiting other visitors onto the school-site to only those that are essential.

Do I need to notify the school if I am keeping my child/children at home?

Yes, if you are keeping your child/children at home for any reason, you must notify the school so we can accurately record their attendance. If you have been keeping your child/children at home and have decided to send them to school, please notify the school. Likewise, if your child/children have been attending school and you are intending to keep them at home, you must notify the school. If your child is unwell, please notify the school so we can record this.

How will the school mark and monitor my child/children’s attendance?

Students attending school will be marked as present. Students staying at home and engaged in distance education (through online learning or paper-based work packages) will be marked as attending an approved educational activity. Those students who are not attending, not engaging in distance education and are not completing work, will be followed up by the school and the child may be marked absent.

How will the school monitor my child/children’s participation in the learning program?

Students who are engaged in online learning at home, should be checking Connect daily and completing work as requested by their teachers. Students who do not have access to online learning, are supplied with a paper-based work package. The work package should be brought back to school when the student returns to school. Students should follow the instructions in their work packages when completing work at home.

The school considers the following when making a judgement about whether a student is participating in a learning program:

  • satisfactory submission of work according to the work calendar or to a negotiated schedule
  • teacher and student contact
  • logging in to online lessons.

If I am choosing to keep my child/children at home, what options are there for distance education?

You have the choice of whether to send your child/children to school or not, but if you choose to keep your child/children at home, they must be participating in distance education either through online learning or a paper-based work package.

Unfortunately, paper-based work packages can only be supplied to students who genuinely need them and are not attending school. If you are not sure if your child/children require a work package, please contact the school so we can discuss your options. If a paper-based work package remains uncollected, no further package can be supplied until a parent/caregiver contacts the school.

If my child/children are remaining at home and are completing paper-based work packages, how do they return completed work?

When returning completed work packages, please place packages into the box outside the front office. Before placing a package in the box, consider the following:

  • the student’s name and class are clearly visible on the front page
  • that all pages are secure and will not become loose
  • that no plastic is being placed in the box
  • how full the box is, if it is full, please let a staff member know.

 The box will be quarantined for at least 24 hours, and then distributed to relevant staff. The date in which the package was received will be recorded for each teacher’s reference.

What resources can I access to support my family’s wellbeing?

We are all experiencing a wide range of thoughts, feelings and reactions during this unprecedented time. We are aware that this is a very challenging and stressful time for our school community, and we would like to provide some information on the support available to our students and families. We have a page on our school website at https://www.svshs.wa.edu.au/covid-19/wellbeing-resources/ with information about organisations that you may find helpful. You can also visit the Learning at Home website at https://www.education.wa.edu.au/learning-at-home/support-for-parents-and-carers to access their resources.

Who can I contact for assistance or support?

Please use the following details to contact the school. If you are unsure of who to contact, please phone Reception on 9294 6100.

Reason Who Email Phone
General enquiries Reception SwanView.SHS@education.wa.edu.au 9294 6100
Student Services Student Services SwanView.SHS.StudentServices@education.wa.edu.au 9294 6108
Curriculum and

subject support

Teacher Email teacher (directly through Connect or click here
9294 6100
Connect Issues Swan View SHS Connect Support Use the below form
9294 6100


Connect Help Form

  • Type Name
  • Contact email
  • Type in brief description of Connect issue...